Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Mindfulness for Goofballs

I was talking to my co-worker this morning about this blog as I was handing her the keys to the cabinet and, with my hand gesturing, managed to throw the keys on the floor at her feet.

I had a flash of feeling somewhat hypocrital given the topic of discussion. Yet when I reflect on it, feeling hypocritical about that kind of experience is also something worth looking at. Often we have the idea that when we practice something we should get better at it right? Sometimes we expect others who practice yoga or meditation to be peaceful, elegant and kind all the time. This must be based on some kind of fantasy or mental projection which is good to notice as well. Do you ever find yourself judging someone for not living up to your expectations? It happens so quickly that we don't often notice it right away. I noticed it this morning in relation to myself yet we can do it quite quickly towards anyone or anything. The interesting thing is that we often believe our judgements without looking at them closely. So today my question is "Is it really true that because I practice and teach mindfulness that I should never drop a set of keys?". Well it's a good thing that assumption doesn't hold up to analysis because if it did, I would have given up on myself a long time ago.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mike for the potent reminder not to take ourselves too seriously and to hold our commitment to mindfulness lightly. It reminds me of the well known image of the gently cupped hand that can hold more water than the tightly held fist. The lighter we hold things, the more we can hold. The tighter we hold them, the more pressure we may feel to get it right all the time and the harder we are on ourselves when the keys drop, as they inevitably will from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this reminds me of something I was thinking about the other day. I was thinking how sometimes at group meditation programs we get into this kind of trippy mindset or thinking that we all have to have something "positive" or "enlightening" to say. You know, these discussion groups that are so irritating sometimes! Everyone, including myself want to have some profound or insightful very positive comment. That's nice but sometimes it gets to the point where we are all sitting around smiling and patting each other on the back for being so "Nice". I have felt that I need room to be sad or unhappy and maybe even angry! I think we can afford to let any emotion be recognized even if it doesn't fit into our idea of what an "enlightened" person is like. Every emotion even the negative ones have their energy and texture and wisdom.
    That's just a couple of cents from a rebel student!
    xo
    K

    ReplyDelete